Re: IPSec WinXP interop

On Wednesday, 24 December 2003, at 00:49:31 +0000,
Antony Gelberg wrote:

> When I try to log in, I get "Error 792: The L2TP connection attempt
> failed because security negotiation timed out."  I don't get any
> "verifying username..." message.

Why do you need freeswan if you are trying to set up L2TP tunnels from
the Windows box to your Linux box ?. FreeS/WAN is an implementation of
the IPsec protocol suite, and as far as I know WXP has support by
default for it, so maybe you could have better luck with this standard
protocol than with the less one L2TP.

> Any insight would be much appreciated.  I must admit I'm still a little
> unclear how the whole idea works, but I believe that IPSec receives the
> connection, then calls l2tpd, which starts ppp.  I can post more config
> / debug if needed.

I could be way mistaken, but L2TP and IPsec (FreeS/WAN and others) are
completely different and independent tunneling mechanisms, and so there
is no mix between them. Configure just L2TP XOR IPsec.

Greetings.

--
Jose Luis Domingo Lopez
Linux Registered User #189436     Debian Linux Sid (Linux 2.6.0)