Re: secure file permissions

mi wrote:
Hello,

Can you tell me what are the default permissions for /etc/group and /etc/passwd ?

I restricted them to rw for root only, but some things like exim (and possibly dpkg ?) seem to need read access there too.
What's recommendet ?

(Debian Woody 3.0 r1)

$ ls -l /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         2722 Nov 23 15:35 /etc/passwd
$

same for group.

Pretty much everything needs to be able to read them. There isn't any harm in having them readable either. The encrypted passwords are stored in /etc/shadow.

Tim

--
Tim Nicholas                          ||                      Cilix
Email: tim@nicholas.net.nz            ||    Wellington, New Zealand