Re: extrange passwd behaviour

On Saturday, 2003-12-06 at 17:03:02 +0900, Hideki Yamane wrote:

> >i was talking about "i dont know why it is default to use unsecure crypt() instead of md5".
> >But I can think of something like "compatibility" (to what?) :)

>  to ...maybe NIS ?

>  # if the reason why using crypt is NIS compatibility, people
>    who uses NIS system is not so many, so I think it's better
>    that defalt value is md5 than crypt.

Can't be NIS. NIS will transport any password style faithfully. Of
course the master server must support MD5 passwords if you change your
password and the passwd command sends an MD5 password to the
yppasswordd.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze                         |