Re: Upgrading Kernels...

On Thursday 04 December 2003 18:48, Eric D Nielsen wrote:
> I'm a little confused as to how/when I should upgrade my kernel.  I'm not
> subscribed to this list a present, so please include me in the cc.

OK. I'm a rather new user myself, but to ease the workload on the security
team, who allready have their hands ful, I'll attempt an answer, but I
basically just reiterate what I've heard here... :-)

> I'm using the 2.4.18.bf2.4 kernel.  I saw that new headers for it were
> added to the security server recently, but don't know what else is
> needed.  Does the machine need to be reboot'ed, after the apt-get upgrade?

Yep.

If you check the recent archives of this list (they are up now, right? I'm on
a GPRS link, so I'm not going over to check), you'll see that you're not
supposed to be running the bf2.4 kernel, you were supposed to go for a
CPU-specific kernel shortly after installation.

I must admit that I never saw anything about going for a CPU-specific kernel
from the stuff I read when installing... But when I first did it, a friend of
mine was telling me "come on, you want your own kernel, own kernels are cool,
go for it". So I did... To the rest of the folks here: Do the installation
guide (or the installer dialog) tell you to change the kernel?

> I saw that kernel images were provided for some of the other Linux kernels,
> but not for the bf2.4 variant.  Does this mean that the bf2.4 variant is
> already safe/patched as is, or that the packager/maintainer hasn't gotten
> to it yet?

AFA I've understood, the idea is that you shouldn't have the bf2.4 variant
shortly after installation. I might be wrong, but I got the impression they
were not going to be patched.

> I'm a little wary of moving off the bf2.4, it seems to be the only one that
> likes my network configuration.  Several of the machines I need to
> administer are hard to get local access to, so if the network goes, I'm out
> of luck.

Yeah, I know how that feels... I've got difficulties physically getting to my
main server too. It's a box I had donated, it runs excellently when it is up,
but I often have to boot it several times to get it running. Upgrading a
kernel implies a reboot (I think), so that's really scary.

However, I think you have no option but to plunge into it...

It was mentioned here a couple of days ago that there are certain differences
between the bf2.4 kernel and the CPU-specific kernels in that in the latter
some things are compiled as modules, rather than into the kernel. ne2k
ethernet cards were mentioned specifically. So, there you may have a hint
about why you haven't any of the other kernels working with your network.
help you further here, but it is a track you can pursue. Start with once you
get physical access to first, of course... :-)

Best,

Kjetil