Re: Uhm, so, what happened...?

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 04:46:32PM +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Tuesday 25 November 2003 13:29, Alan James wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 12:09:11 +0100, Kjetil Kjernsmo
> > <kjetil@kjernsmo.net>
> >
> > wrote:
> > >I bet there are a lot of users running around scared, not knowing
> > > what to do really... Any advices for us??
> >
> > Keep your eye on http://www.wiggy.net/debian/status/
> > Expect more details to appear there in a day or two.
>
> Yeah, nice summary, but it really doesn't address the issue: "am I
> vulnerable to the same attack as was used to break in?"
>
> Even if the answer is "we don't know", it would be nice to hear somebody
> say that, and then say something more elaborate of what the unknowns
> are.

For those that are only reading this on the mailing list and haven't
been following up to the link mentioned above, the important bit of
"when will we know" that's noted in the wiggy.net link is as follows:

" We expect to need until Wednesday and ask for your patience until
then. Afterwards when we have all the facts we will explain what exactly
happened and how we hope to prevent this from happening again in the
future."

We've still got many hours of Wednesday left and if the people in charge
of this are like many hackers I know, it'll be near the end of the day
before anything would be posted.

Please Kjetil, don't take my email as a "RTFM" type dismissive answer
as I mean no disrespect at all to you, but wanted to inform others on
the list that this update info is expected sometime today...

+ It's simply not       | John Keimel            +
+ RFC1149 compliant!    | john@keimel.com        +
+                       | http://www.keimel.com  +