Re: Someone scanned my ssh daemon

I really wouldn't worry about your verison number being leaked. If an
attacker wants to crack your machine, they are just going to try running
an exploit against it. Why bother testing the version number when it
(often) takes less time to just try the attack?

I suppose one reason to hide the version number is to make it more
difficult to pregenerate a list of machines to attack, so you can start
attacking right away.

However, since most people will be running and updating all of their
packages at once, the versions will belong to a limited set. So if *any*
package leaks version info, you can guess what version the others are.

AdamL

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 17:08, Mark Devin wrote:
--
Adam Lydick <adam.lydick@verizon.net>