Re: noboby with a shell !!

On Sat, Mar 29, 2003 at 12:55:21AM +0100, Sven Hoexter wrote:
> Ok then I'm out of arguments ;) but I think there is a reason for the packagers
> to setup a lot of dummy users for daemons etc. with /bin/sh instead of
> /bin/false or /dev/null.

I have heard it so argued and remain to be convinced.
I have a cfengine script that overwrites the work of
debian packages in passwd within minutes of an upgrade.
All non-real users get /dev/false for a shell on my
systems.  If it breaks some arcane feature... tough.

       IN MY NAME:            Dale Amon, CEO/MD
  No Mushroom clouds over     Islandone Society
    London and New York.      www.islandone.org