OT: Is it so easy to break into an NIS?

Hi

A friend just asked me this question and I got curious. say I'm equipped with a linux laptop and some knowledge, I can walk into a company that uses NIS, find out the settings (NISDOMAIN, free ip address, etc...) and join their domain. now I can login as root on my computer, su to any user and see/change/delete his files. is it that easy?

of-course, administrators should protect their mounts with netgroups permissions, and users should protect their important files with encryption, but how many of these you see?

any ideas? suggestions?

Bye
--
Haim