Re: Traffic monitoring

While we're still in the field of counting and monitoring traffic:
Is there any good way to account traffic on one computer by user? I
searched several times for this but didn't find any good solution.
Some people said it should be do-able with kernel-modules but nobody
knew who had already done it.

I have several users generating traffic over the network interface
(eth0). What I would need is monitor incoming and outgoing traffic
accounted by the uid the process is running to or from which the
packets are received / sent. Hmm - did I at least make it a bit
clear? Even if I have somebody running an "ftp" for getting or
putting files ... or if I have someone using wget on the shell or
getting remote-files via PHP or whatever I need to account this
traffic to the uid - all on the local machine. And if I have someone
opening a listening-port (this also appears with ftp-transfers) and
waits for an incoming connection I would also like to bill the
incoming connection to the same uid.

That's my problem. Any good solutions out there? I'm stuck with this
:-((