RE: Peace is not off topic

Didier,

My apologies for my wording - it is quite common to link america to USA when
speaking - i'm not the only person who does it, most people do.  Of course
Canadians, Mexicans et al are not US Citizens and my comments were not meant
to encompass those nationalities.  A rather interesting thing comes to my
mind:

I remember reading an article around a month ago about Mexico taking the US
to the world court in the Hague over 3 mexican nationals on death row -
these mexicans were not read their rights on arrest, nor were provided with
legal representation within the initial 72 hours - which they are entitled
to - this is under the Geneva convention (well that is what the mexican
government is arguing).  Now interestingly, the Hague has asked for US
government to adjourn the deaths of 3 mexican nationals that are rumoured to
be killed in the next 2-3 months (from the date of the article) pending a
full decision by the world courts.  The US governments response?  "we'll
think about what we're going to do".  That is just blatant elitism by the
powers that be in the US, and another example of their disregard for
decisions made by world bodies (example, UN, world court...).  Now if other
countries were disregarding it, the US would cry foul.  I can think of an
example as well - Iraq - failing to comply with the UN resolution.  But it's
OK for the US not to comply...hypocrisy?  Yes.  This is what makes the US
policy and government so hated amongst the world.

As another example - the Australia government has recently called for the
expulsion of an Iraqi diplomat on grounds of "spying".  Well...colour me
*pink* but it's quite a common thing that goes on world wide.  The
Australian government will not provide any proof of spying, and has now
admitted that the US government asked Australia to expel Iraqi diplomats.
Not exactly a peaceful way of dealing with people I think.  And very
provocative.  For that matter, the US has had CIA operatives etc operating
within Iraq for the past 3 months!  And it has come to light that Australian
troops have been active on Iraqi soil for the past 3 months as well!  Of
course both governments deny it - the worrying aspect is that the Australian
government has said it would not commit troops to a war in Iraq unless it
was given UN powers to do so.  Another lie.  It's ok to lie to your people,
cos if you're the government you can do what you want.  I put money on it
that people just "disappear" if it's convenient for a government.  And i'm
not being paranoid here.  It happens in the US, it happens in Australia.
It's called a conveniency factor.

Dave W Pastern