Re: Permissions on /root/

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 05:40:31PM +0100, Christian Jaeger wrote:
> - You should also be aware that a 0700 directory does not protect you
> if you are moving another directory from outside to inside, since
> users who have already chdir'd into it remain inside it.

Yes, but how often does that happen? And, don't get me wrong, I'm not
promoting blind faith in the permissions, I'm just saying I think it
would be a Good Thing. My former reply, the one to Craig Dickson,
explained not only why, but also replied to some of your other points.

> - The problem with a 0700 /root is that it does not leave it a *joice*
> anymore.

Eh, you'll have to excuse me, but I have no idea what that phrase means.

> - In fact I am using /root/bin/, /root/etc/, /root/sbin/,
> /root/libexec/ for scripts which I have written myself but should be
> for any user on the system. My /etc/skel/.bash_profile includes
> /root/bin into the user's paths.
>   Why do I not use /usr/local/{bin,sbin,lib} and /etc for that?
>   * I don't want my stuff to be mixed with software from other people.
>   * I want to be able to easily tar my stuff up to transfer it to
> another machine.
>   * Sometimes I override an existing binary living in /usr/local/bin.
> Since /root/bin is earlier in my path that's possible.
>
>   Maybe you can tell me which other directory is better suited for
> that than /root?

Yes. Your regular account's home.

--
Regards,