Re: Sarge freeze and security updates

On Sat, 2003-02-22 at 23:46, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
> Sarge is frozen?  and has some security issues becaseu of this?
>
> is this true <ref: perl>?

Sarge is not frozen, but it is not getting updates from Sid because of
several packages there which aren't ready to be moved to Sarge, and
which most everything else in Sid depends on. Right now, libc6 is not
*ready for prime time*, but I hear there are some critical problems in
other areas, with possibly perl being one of them (not sure if it is
awaiting libc6, or if there has been something in it itself that is a
problem.) The result is some 1700 packages ready to move forward except
that their current dependencies are not ready. This includes Gnome 2.2
and KDE 3.1, gcc 3.2 (the C++ section is not steady yet, last I heard,)
and iirc, the newest edition of X11.

There is a side effect that this means that few of the security fixes
are making it through to Sarge, either. There is talk about using the
security update system to produce security releases for Sarge, but those
responsible for Sid are concerned about package numbering, among other
problems, and are reluctant to see that implemented, as this situation
is really a rarity (a perfect storm of stalled dependencies in Sid
blocking so much concurrently.)
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org