Re: machine monitoring packages

On Fri, Feb 14, 2003 at 05:00:42PM +0100, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:

> > of the data that you will want.  RRDs do not expand once they are
> > created, so once it wraps and starts to overwrite old data, it is lost.
>  Well, that's the idea behind rrd, and I don't like it. You don't
>  overwrite your security logs, why would you like to overwrite this data?

Most people do throw away their logs after a certain period of time,
actually.  And most people don't care about the value of a certain quantity
at 3:05pm one day 2 years ago, as compared to 3:10pm the next day.  They do
care about the average, maximum, and minimum of that quantity for the day.
That is why rrdtool summarizes data.

There have been several discussions about using the rrdtool API to store
data in an expanding database (for example, an RDBMS), but as far as I know
nobody has actually done the work, meaning that nobody has needed it so
badly and could not find an alternative.

>  It's great. But there is no alternative. And there should be.

If you feel there should be, then you should create one, or add what you
need to an existing tool.

--
 - mdz