From: viv [mailto:viv@veeev.com]
Sent: 08 January 2003 07:19
To: DebianSecurity
Cc: Colin Ellis
Subject: RE: raw disk access

	Thanks to all for your quick replies.

	i thought originally that dd would work and tried to 'image'
	a couple of CDs, but they came out to different sizes although
	both were 650MB CDs.  The disk sizes differed by about 3 MB,
	so i assumed dd was missing something.  Imaging 2 floppies
	yielded different sized images as well.

	From the replies thus far, it seems that dd is exactly what i
	am looking for.  However, i am still at a loss to explain the
	differences in image sizes.  Does dd copy every bit from a
	device from start to finish, or does it skip / miss something
	somewhere?

	Thanks again.

--
viv <viv@veeev.com>