Re: FW: Updated OPENSSL package for Debian?

On Tue, 2003-01-07 at 19:16, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 07, 2003 at 05:08:23PM +0100, Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder wrote:
> > So the version from testing should do. You may want to download the
> > source package and compile it yourself to avoid having to upgrade
> > dependencies (I don't know, just speculating).
>
> Why tell him that?  What the hell is wrong with the version of openssl
> from security.debian.org?  There are no known security vulnerabilities
> there.
>
> Advising somebody to install packages from *testing* to get security
> updates is very unwise.  Doing so would prevent them from getting a new
> version of the package in the event that it's updated by the security
> team again.

Some might feel more comfortable with installing a package from testing
than with modifying version checks in a configure script. But I agree
that I probably should have said that testing, of course, does not have
security support as do the stable versions.

cheers
-- vbi

--
featured product: SpamAssassin - http://spamassassin.org