Re: Security patches

On Thu, 18 Dec 2003, martin f krafft wrote:
> I would be very interested, Russel, to hear your opinion about the
> claim that the LSM hooks are dangerous in terms of root kit
> exploits. Do you agree? If not, then please tell us what LSM
> precautions take care to prevent that.

Given the patch-the-kernel-directly exploits, and the module-based-exploits
right now that work without even touching the LSM hooks, this question
always looked quite missplaced to me every time I heard it...

Now, what I would like to have is a kernel that loads in all executable
pages it might need, and locks itself out from ever loading or writing over
any other executable pages [that would run in kernel context] again.  This
needs hardware support, of course, which I don't know if any of the commonly
used architectures have...

  Henrique Holschuh