Re: secure file permissions

On Sun, Dec 07, 2003 at 09:27:04AM +0100, mi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Can you tell me what are the default permissions for /etc/group and
> /etc/passwd ?

%--(6)--$ ls -l /etc/passwd
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root         1276 17. Sep 22:57 /etc/passwd

> I restricted them to rw for root only, but some things like exim (and
> possibly dpkg ?) seem to need read access there too.
> What's recommendet ?

Unless you didn't enable shadow passwords the default ought to be safe.
/etc/passwd 'only' tells names and login-shells. Not really much to
worry about, is it?

Horst

--
Join the army, see the world, meet interesting, exciting people, and kill them.