Re: extrange passwd behaviour

On Friday, 2003-12-05 at 20:39:16 +0100, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <[🔎] 1070627880.3fd07c288eb0b@www.lupe-christoph.de> you wrote:
> >> Dont know why and for which debian versions it is default, I have some mixed
> >> ones.

> > Why? Because it uses DES and DES uses 56 bit keys. Eight 7 bit chars
> > give you exactly 56 bits...

> *lol*

> i was talking about "i dont know why it is default to use unsecure crypt() instead of md5".

If you find it funny I misunderstood you ... I don't find it funny I
can't reply to you. Mail to your addess bounce. :-P

> But I can think of something like "compatibility" (to what?) :)

Ever heard about X/Open and their Unix standards? I'd bet they specify
this in exceeding detail.

Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze                         |