Re: [SECURITY] [DSA-403-1] userland can access Linux kernel memory

On Tue, Dec 02, 2003 at 13:35:51 -0600, Micah Anderson wrote:
> Previous kernel security holes have been treated with a lot more
> "transparancy" and communication than this one was, I am disappointed that
> this one wasn't.

I fail to see how this was treated with less transparency than previous
holes. The only difference I see is that with previous kernel security holes
like the ptrace one, the kernel developers recognised the security
implications of a coding bug almost immediately, whereas in this case it
took quite some time. That's unfortunate, but quite understandable. Mistakes
happen.

Ray
--
NATUURLIJK krijg je er geen signaal doorheen - het is *dark* fibre.
	jtv