Re: Security patches

On Samstag, 29. November 2003 11:08, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 20:05, Martin Pitt <martin@piware.de> wrote:
> > SELinux only uses LSM which makes it easy to port, but seems
> > impractical and even dangerous for real-world use [1][2]. Minor issues
>
> [1] and [2] are matters of opinion.  The opinion of Linus, most other kernel
> developers, NSA people, etc is different.
>
> Anyone is free to believe that they know security better than the NSA people
> and that they have better ideas for Linux kernel coding than Linus.  But
they
> are not going to convince me in a hurry.

Russel, I know you are an SELinux enthusiastic. As a matter of fact, I have
met many people who _do_ think that NSA is not the end of all security
discussion.

Also, I seem to have missed the favourable statements of "most other kernel
developers". There may even be people who would not name Linus as the first
person when asked for their favorite security expert - no matter how
excellent he is as a general OS designer and developer.

[Added for completeness, [1] is my official statement about LSM and RSBAC]
[1] http://www.rsbac.org/lsm.htm
[2] http://www.grsecurity.net/lsm.php

Amon.