Re: More hacked servers?

More or less.. I agree on allmost every point you have made.
The extensive explanation you gave should however been clear
when you tried pointing out the issue.. then the reaction
wouldn't be so hostile (towards you).

Although I agree on the open response that is needed to reasure the
media/users/admins (but most of all) the managers that push the
administrators to the limit; most of the managers that have agreed on
implementing Debian into their so beloved (or hated) IT environment need
besides the soothing words of their trustees (administrators) the media to
back their own "good"feeling about their choises.

If this is accomplished by beeing as open as possible, making the full audit
public to everyone on a large scale so that everybody can be amazed how much
we can absorb when it comes to tech-info, I'm not sure.

The information, the indepth information, should always be stacked in a
place where only the people that need the information can get it.
Hence the importance of the communication skills a system administrator
needs. To much info can kill a conversation and/or even more.

It is up to the security team whom have the last say in this, to decide
what is going to be public. It's their, and our, responsibility to use that
information for the good of the Debian community, and our own situation
(buissness, private, education.. you name it).

If I wasn't intressted, I wouldn't read all the information provided..
If I lack the knoledge to understand the information that is given to me,
I would ask somebody that does know to explain it to me, or educate
myself by reading to figure it out.

Cheers,
Mark