Re: authentication in ssh

Hmm, just occured to me that you could do the following, though I think it
would be considered a kludge.  Run 2 sshd daemons on different ports.  On
the standard port 22 run one that needs password auth. Start a second
custom sshd configured to use port xxx and use
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.powerusers as its config file. You could set up a
second init script to take care of this for you.  In the poweruser config
file specify only key based authentication. ( I do hope your requiring
passphrases too, or in my opinion key based is LESS secure) In your
standard sshd_config specify DenyUsers/Groups for your powerusers.  In
poweruser config file set AllowUsers/Groups for your power users and
DenyUsers for al others.

This would mean however that you power users would need to custom
configure their ssh clients to talk to your oddball port. Kind of
inconvenient...

--
David Ehle
Computing Systems Manager