Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

On Mon, Sep 29, 2003 at 11:02:53AM +0100, Dale Amon wrote:

> There is another common case I'd not mentioned. Since I do a lot
> of development work, I tend to have a *lot* of servers installed
> on my laptop, ready to run, but only when I need them. I do this
> entirely manually at present. I'd like to have the option of installing
> a package and marking it to not be started or run at boot time.
> Just because I want it available does not at all mean I want it
> running all the time.

My business is just like yours.  Since I've always managed the
/etc/rc?.d directories by hand the [trivial] solutuin for me
is to remove the symlinks the install scripts create.  You can
also use update-rc or whatever Debian calls it.

bit,
adam

--
1024D/37B8D989 954B 998A E5F5 BA2A 3622  82DD 54C2 843D 37B8 D989
finger://borso@vekoll.vein.hu | Some days, my soul's confined