Re: MS BS

> > My secalert account for these lists is being drenched with 40 to 70
> > of these fake Microsoft Update emails per day.
> > My filters on my client dump them to a Junk folder, but I would
> > prefer it if my Exim filter would do the job at the server level
> > instead. I am running Nigel Metheringham's system_filter.exim.
> >
> > The single part MIME filter doesn't seem to catch it though. What
> > are others on this list using or doing to blatently block this
> > stuff? There is no valid .exe I could receive, ever.
>
> I (re)started reading via webmail for purging the mails on the
> popserver.
> There might be much more comfortable ways and much more efficient ways
> but I don't want to rebuild the whole mailing-system after the traffic
> has disappeared.

Hi,

same problem here. Solution has been discussed on debian-laptop :-) 2
days ago. Here's the solution given by Georg Sauthoff :
"those Microsoft Outlook (Express)/Internet Explorer users who give a
sh**
about security || privacy really sucks. Specially Microsoft extremely
sucks,
because they make such worms etc. possible. So I updated my mailfilter
config:
http://www.uni-bielefeld.de/~gsauthoff/mailfilterrc
(the regular expression catches nearly every 150 KB Message - but
false-positives are always possible)

Mailfilter deletes the messages at the pop3 server wihout downloading.
"

I checked it out (apt-get install mailfilter) on my system and it works
great ! 170 emails removed today, 20Mb less to download !

So if your're fetching your emails from a POP account, that's the
solution. If you're using some other method for getting your emails, I
think that some identical rules should do the job in
fetchmail|exim|qmail|whatever

Joel