Re: Watch out! vsftpd anonymous access always enabled!

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003, Robert van der Meulen wrote:

> If anyone here is running vsftpd on a non-anonymous box, I'd make sure to
> check this too. In the case of this customer (who has pretty sensitive data
> on his box), this could have been quite a disaster.

If he really cares about the data (and let's face it, everyone cares about
their data :) then I'd recommend dispensing with ftp entirely and using
scp or sftp (ssh v2) if the client needs to shift data to or from the box.
Configure this for RSA/DSA access only (no password access) and possibly
lock it down with a firewall as well (after recent events).  You can even
go one step further and have the sensitive data seperated from the
upload/download box (there are various ways to aproach this).

Cheers,
	Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc. email: robert@timetraveller.org, zzbrock@uqconnect.net