Re: Man-db problem

This is not a security issue, as far as I can tell. Take a look at
/etc/cron.daily/man-db and see what it does. You will see something
like this:

# regenerate man database
if [ -x /usr/bin/mandb ]; then
    # --pidfile /dev/null so it always starts; mandb isn't really a
    # but we want to start it like one.
    start-stop-daemon --start --pidfile /dev/null \
					        --startas /usr/bin/mandb --oknodo --chuid man \
							-- --no-purge --quiet
fi

Run this on the command line, as root, without the --quiet option, and
you will see errors that might need to be fixed.

This same thing happened to me, after a couple crashes and fscks
messed up some of my man directory so some manpages.1.gz were turned
into directories, or just plain mush. I had to remove those completely
to get the man-db regeneration to work, and would have to be
reinstalled from the original packages that they came from in order to
get the man pages properly returned.

micah