Kernel 2.4.21 Forwarding table vulnerability

What impact does the Forwarding Table Vulnerability of
late have?  Is this only a problem if you have ip
forwarding enabled and setup as a router or is this
part of the normal ip stack functions that affects the
kernel no matter what services you are running on your
server?  I can't find any info on this vulnerability
that explains the problem in any detail.  If someone
could shed some light for me I would appreciate it.

Thanks