Re: execute permissions in /tmp

On Sat, Jul 12, 2003 at 10:37:24PM -0400, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> Well now, that is interesting.  You are absolutely correct about the sticky
> bit.  It is the noexec flag that this is happening with, and I agree that it
> alone is not a total security solution.  However, it is a piece of a much
> bigger pie and really should be enforced.

 You should be able to tell apt to  mount /tmp -o remount,exec  before
running dpkg, and to remount,noexec again afterwards.  See apt.conf, and look
for the Pre-Invoke and Post-Invoke options.  See this thread (for having a
read-only /usr, which entails some complications that a noexec /tmp
wouldn't) for clues:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2001/debian-devel-200111/msg00212.html

 Happy hacking,

--