Re: Strongest linux - kernel patches

Hi

On Jueves, 3 de Julio de 2003 04:28, Hubert Chan wrote:
> Peter>  Luckily, that's a solved problem.  Con Kolivas's -ck3 patch for
> Peter> 2.4.21 includes grsecurity and XFS.
>
> There's also wolk, which contains grsecurity, XFS, and a ton of other
> patches.

I'm right now testing Con Kolivas' patches in my workstation, and it seems
great. I still want to try WOLK in our servers.

However, after having compiled CK's patch with all my usual options
(activating only support for my motherboard's chipset, etc.), I find an
annoying thing:

adelita:~# dmesg|grep ST380
hde: ST380023A, ATA DISK drive
hdg: ST380021A, ATA DISK drive

adelita:~# hdparm -d1 /dev/hde /dev/hdg
/dev/hde:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
/dev/hdg:
 setting using_dma to 1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)

adelita:~# hdparm -t /dev/hde
/dev/hde:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.75 seconds = 23.32 MB/sec

adelita:~# hdparm -t /dev/hdg
/dev/hdg:
 Timing buffered disk reads:  64 MB in  2.04 seconds = 31.37 MB/sec

Both disks are almost identical, the only different is that hde (which btw is
my / disk) has hdf as slave in the same bus. They always had similar
throughputs, but hde's seems to have lowered with this kernel patch and I
cannot get to imagine why.

Anyway I'll keep on testing it. Performance in my workstation seems to be a
little better, now I'll put hands to work to compile WOLK in the servers :-)

Regards

	Pope

--
Luis Gomez Miralles