Re: evolution

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 22:40, Martynas Domarkas wrote:
> Hi, it's me again and I have another stupid question: my evolution
> mailer in a short period of time repeatedly tries connect to some
> strange hosts:
>

> tcp 0 1 192.168.0.1:33931 205.156.51.200:80 SYN_SENT
> 4055/evolution-exec
--snipped--

Hi Martynas,

These are connections to port 80, meaning a web server.  Do you get a
lot of spam?  Do you get a lot of newsletters or other e-mails with
images?  Many spam and newsletter mailings contain images, both visible
and invisible (small one pixel images used to track and/or verify if an
e-mail has been viewed).  You likely have Evolution set to display
images so it's going out and trying to download all the images in the
e-mails.  A better option is to turn that off by default and enable it
for individual images.  That's what I do.  On the menu bar go to
Tools>Settings and go to Mail Preferences>HTML Mail.  Select either
"Never load images off the net" which is my preference, or "Load images
if sender is in addressbook" so that you can receive HTML images from
those you choose.  I'm sure you'll see a sudden dropoff in connections
as well as not automatically letting spammers know you're alive.

Hope this helps,

Kourosh

--
Kourosh <debian@mindwaresystems.com>