Re: odd process running /usr/sbin/sendmail -i -CronDaemon -odi -oem root

On Thursday, 2003-06-19 at 10:10:10 -0500, Robert Ebright wrote:
> I have had some problems with attempted hacks on
> my box and posted here the last few days. So
> I've been checking the processing running on my
> box and I see this.
>   PID TTY      STAT   TIME COMMAND
> 28406 ?        S      0:00 /usr/sbin/sendmail -i
> -FCronDaemon -odi -oem root

You may want to check with lsof which process is feeding STDIN of this
sendmail process.

  lsof -p 28406

You'll see something like this:

sendmail 27413 lupe    0r  FIFO        0,5         2637562 pipe

There is probably a better way, but I do this then:

  lsof | grep 2637562

And I find I started a sleep command that (never) feeds the sendmail
process:

sleep     27412 lupe    1w  FIFO        0,5             2637562 pipe

HTH,
Lupe Christoph
--
| lupe@lupe-christoph.de       |           http://www.lupe-christoph.de/ |
| "Violence is the resort of the violent" Lu Tze                         |