Re: Probable SSH Vulnerability

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:34:32 +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:

>Nick Boyce <nick@glimmer.demon.co.uk> writes:
>
>>>These attacks require wiretapping and traffic
>>>manipulation capabilities.
>>
>> I'd be interested if you could expand on this - do you mean a
>> connection to the victim's LAN is necessary ?
>
>LAN or WAN.  Actually, access to any transmission link suffices.
[...]
>... wiretapping WANs is not exactly straightforward. 8-) You
>will have a hard time doing it even if you've compromised some
>intermediate router.  In a true WAN environment, scalable
>eavesdropping requires access to the physical medium and special
>eavesdropping cards for the machines that perform the eavesdropping.

In our comms room at work there are many bits of various kinds of WAN
kit where our comms guys have fitted "Y-cables" into WAN ports so they
can plug in network analysers to diagnose problems ... I assume that
every comms room belonging to every operator on the Net has similar
arrangements, and I worry that it's not impossible for Bad Guys to
work in such places :)

But your points are all well taken, and I consider myself educated &
enlightened :)   Thanks.

Nick Boyce
Bristol, UK
--
Dinner is ready when the smoke alarm goes off.