Re: Someone scanned my ssh daemon

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 23:32, Tomasz Papszun wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 at 14:26:33 +0200, Stefan Neufeind wrote:
> > On 16 Jun 2003 at 7:00, Halil Demirezen wrote:
> >
> > > To be brief, I don't usually come accross that there is an exploit for
> > > only effective to debian boxes. Plus, There are lots of ways to learn
> > > what distribution you are running on your machine. telnet xxxx.com 80
> > > and do some returns and you get the info you are running apache with
> > > php xxx support on debian box.
> > >
> > > This is not only ssh case.
> >
> > Well, but for e.g. php I don't see why this is necessary. Anybody
> > wrote a doc on how to suppress unnecessary version-messages? I'd be
> > really interested in such things ...
> >

> In apache's config:
>
> ServerTokens ProductOnly
> ServerSignature Off

I was going to say exactly this earlier in the thread.  I put this in My
Apache config quite some time ago when I realised I could.  There should
be something similar in the sshd_config in my opinion.

Of the information spat out from my ssh daemon:
SSH-2.0-OpenSSH_3.4p1 Debian 1:3.4p1-1
I believe that clients need only the "SSH-2.0" part.

Even some security by obscurity makes me feel better if easy to
implement and doesn't make anything more difficult to do.

Regards.
Mark.