Re: Default Apache install not fit for multiple domains/users

Hi,

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 00:03:59 +0200, Juan Antonio Agudo writes:
>I want to enable some friends of mine to host their web pages on
>my woody server. It has Apache LAMP running in great shape and it
>suits my Web page just fine. The Problem that I have now is, that
>the apache user is www-data. Well, I guessed I could just change the
>user permissions on the /var/www/<path.to.site> directories to the
>respective user names, but that doesnt do the trick, because then, all
>write permissions for cgi scripts for these diretories are gone, as
>they no longer belong to www-data.

There's no need to let the users have access to anything under /var/www.

Personally, I would let each user use the "personal directory" feature
of Apache.  I don't recall the exact directives to enable it (but it's
enabled by default, so if you didn't turn it off, it's there).

If a client accesses "http://your.domain.com/~foobar/index.html";, then
Apache will get the file from "/home/foobar/public_html/index.html"
(i.e. everything under the "~foobar" URL comes from the "public_html"
subdirectory of the "foobar" user's home directory.

Each user can create a ".htaccess" file in their "public_html" directory
to override the global settings.

Each user can have their own "public_access/cgi-bin" directory (you
may need to enable scripting from this directory either in your global
httpd.conf or from that user's .htacces file).

Finally, if you don't want the ugly "~foobar" in the names, you should
be able to use an alias in the global httpd.conf to get rid of it.

    --- Wade