Re: Keeping files away from users

W liście z czw, 05-06-2003, godz. 07:30, Luis Gomez - InfoEmergencias
pisze:

Hello!

> We'd like to protect that content, so that even if someone unplugs the machine
> and connects the HD to another Linux box, they can't access that information.
> Of course it's difficult to do, but we think there might be a possibility to
> achieve success.

You have to understand that giving to someone physical access to the
machine, You are in fact giving him all. All the software solutions to
protect the contents could be just simply disassembled. So You can only
make it more difficult i.e. by rewriting filesystem so it wont be
understandable by other machines, changing boot code or doing something
simmilar. But this solution has two sides: It will be much more
difficult to support such device.
If You want to protect Your code, You can use some kind of hardware keys
to decrypt executables "on the fly". Of course this is still not the
perfect solution, because someone, can sniff decoded code and use it
later. If You want be sure that no one will take out You code, You
should implement some kind of autodestruction ( H2SO4, TNT, C4, small
nuclear bomb etc...) which will destroy HDD (or all device), when
someone will try to open the box.

And please think about Open Source - this is also the way to make money.
And You don't need to wory about the code securiy.

Anyway good luck!!!

--
Jaroslaw Tabor <jarek@srv.pl>