Re: Keeping files away from users

Am Donnerstag, 5. Juni 2003 09:30 schrieb Luis Gomez - InfoEmergencias:
> We'd like to protect that content, so that even if someone unplugs the
> machine and connects the HD to another Linux box, they can't access that
> information. Of course it's difficult to do, but we think there might be a
> possibility to achieve success.

Mh, this sounds like "security through obscirity" to me... And the next thing
is, you want to make files readable by the system, not by humans. When you
provide a password for an encrypted device at boot time, the password will
end up on a piece of paper pinned to the monitor. Servers have to be booted
when they go down, not when the one sysadmin who knows the PW comes back...

Don't make too much fuss about encrypting. If your machine has one little
security hole, the attacker will get all data unencrypted. That's not worth
the effort!

--
Thomas Ritter

"Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary
safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin