Re: chkrootkit and LKM

On Mon, 2003-05-26 at 23:27, IC0N wrote:

> Checking `lkm'... You have 1 process hidden for readdir command
> You have 1 process hidden for ps command
> Warning: Possible LKM Trojan installed
>
> Sometimes I get 2 or 3 processes, sometimes NONE

If a process is created between the output of ps and the readdir then
you will see this sort of output from chkrootkit.  However, run
chkrootkit several times and if the hidden process number is the same
each time then you should be more suspicious.

If you consistently get the same hidden process number then try changing
into its directory in /proc.  Eg. if process 26262 is hidden then try
accessing the directory /proc/26262

If the directory exists then you may be dealing with a lkm trojan.

Regards.
Mark.