Re: Advice Needed On Recent Rootings

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 02:32:56PM -0400, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> If you believe he'll be back, it might be worth it to set up a honeypot
> and a box running tcpdump and capturing all the traffic to honeypot.
> Set the honeypot up with the same services you run on your production
> machines, and make sure that no services at all (not even ssh) are
> runnign on the tcpdump system.  At least that way, when the box gets
> cracked, you'll be able to see what ports the guy was talking to when he
> broke in.  It also might be useful as evidence in case you ever decide
> to try and prosecute him.
Considering that.  Actually, I've been looking into a completely cold
machine recording a tcpdump over a serial console.  I've also been
looking into how to use some LKM-style tricks (read source mods) to hide
the sniffing process and a userspace solution to hide the promiscuous
mode IF.

> I assume the cracked boxes were running woody?  What are the actual
> services running on the various open ports?  What versions of the
> packages?
Yeah, I call it stable, but it's the same thing.  The nmap lists (from
the outside):

ssh
smtp
domain
www
pop3s
imaps

>From the inside add:

netbios-ssn/netbios-dgm/netbios-ns
imap
pop3

This has been a hit on about seven different machines with vastly
different configurations (some missing everything but SSH) and all
firewalled down to the minimum.

> I don't know of any exploits for the version of OpenSSH included on
> security.debian.org for woody.  It would certainly be interesting to
> find out that there is one in the wild!
Indeed.  When I find out more I'll send to the list.

Jayson