Re: Advice Needed On Recent Rootings

On Sunday 25 May 2003 20:04, Jayson Vantuyl wrote:

Hi Jayson,

> We've had a number of hacked boxen recently.  It appears a certain
> person (Romanian we think) is specifically targeting us and our
> customers (looks like he hit a machine and found connections from others
> in their logs, went from there).
I have two boxen running connected to the internet, one is Debian Kernel Image
+ all latest available security fixes for debian, the other one is almost the
same but with 2.4.20-wolk4.1s enabled all grsecurity stuff.

Both machines are connected for a long time now, both on the same ip subnet
and I've announced a hackcontest privately to some people some time ago (the
machines intention is for hacking ;).

The first, debian kernel image machine, was hacked 37 times in 1 year, the
other one was hacked 0 times, looking into the logs I see _tons_ of "PaX:
from <IP> terminating $foobar".

So the way to go is absolutely grsecurity if you want to be very safe even
against exploits and security holes in userspace applications which are not
known yet.

> The part that bothers me is that all of these systems were updated to
> the newest versions on debian.security.org (if apt-get was doing its
> job) and firewalled down to just the ports we needed (22, 25, 53, 80).
what mailserver do you run on 25? what type of webserver (if so on port 80)
and what nameserver? Bind? ;)

> While I don't like this (OpenSSH is open and it should be that way), has
> anyone else had this kind of experience?  Is there some big hack I
> should know about?
No public exploits are known for the most recent OpenSSH version v3.6.1p2,
which does _not_ mean there are no exploits.

> I've checked CERT and the SANS list.  Both of them were helpful, but
> most of the answers said "run the newest version of X", which I have
> assumed apt-get fixed (in stable at least).  I mean, some versions were
> older, but I had heard most of them had backported fixes.  Is this
> happening to anyone else?
yes, with the machine/software packages w/o grsecurity/PaX support.

Personally I don't trust those so called "security updates". I always compile
relevant software for myself from the servers programs homepage.

Don't get me wrong. I don't say that the security updates are not safe. It is
just my personal choice of doing it on my own!!

--
ciao, Marc