Re: idea for improving security

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 01:07:24PM -0500, Mark Edgington wrote:
> Hi,
>   I'm not sure whether this idea has been considered or implemented
>   anywhere, but I have been thinking about it, and believe it would provide a
> fairly high-level of security for systems which only run a few public
> services.  The gist of it is this:
> incorporate functionality into inetd/xinetd/rinetd which listens for a
> predefined sequence of connection attempts on certain ports.  Upon noticing
> the correct sequence (as specified somewhere in the config file), it opens
> up certain ports (i.e. SSH) for a specified amount of time or for the next
> connection attempt only.  The parameters which could be set in the config

I believe that there are rootkits in the wild which do this.

Although I can't find the reference I had to it, I believe that some
listen for traffic on a rare or unallocated protocol before opening a
backdoor.

[snip]

--
William Aoki     waoki@umnh.utah.edu       /"\  ASCII Ribbon Campaign
B1FB C169 C7A6 238B 280B  <- key change    \ /  No HTML in mail or news!