Re: OpenSSH and debian?

On Tue, 06 May 2003 at 05:47:37PM +0200, Diederik de Vries wrote:
> Hi there!

Greets,

> Today I was surfing on SecurityFocus, and saw that there was a hole in
> OpenSSH (http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/7482/info/). Debian Potato
> uses OpenSSH 3.1 p1, which seems to be exploitable.
>
> Is this true, am I missing something or what?

It is a small vulnerability.  The same information can be gathered from
your MTA (if you are running one) by doing an RCPT TO: and then an RSET.

I consider turning off the delay more of a security risks since it
allows the attacker to brute force the password quicker. *shrugs*.

I wouldn't loose any sleep over it, I have not changed my pam because of
it, nor do I plan to.

Take Care,

--
Phillip Hofmeister
Network Administrator/Systems Engineer

PGP/GPG Key:
http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/
wget -O - http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/key.txt | gpg --import
--
Excuse #136: le0: no carrier: transceiver cable problem?