Re: [d-security] Re: mysql update for Woody?

Hello

I Cc team@security, maybe my mails really got forgotten.

On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 08:35:24PM -0400, Carl Fink wrote:
> > Where did you get the information that said mysql was vulnerable?
>
> Several places, for one:
>
> 	http://www.linuxsecurity.com/advisories/trustix_advisory-2990.html

Debian woody was vulnerable to this attack. Here excerpts from mails
that I sent to team@security.debian.org at 2003-03-09 and 2003-03-11:

	The possible impacts are:
        - After a server reload, the daemon then runs as root and the
          user is able to create but NOT overwrite files with always
          exactly this permissions: "-rw-rw-rw- root root"
        - Even without a server reload, the user may introduce (or even
          overwrite, didn't check order) configuration options.
	Do you think, that this is a security problem grave enough to
	fix woody and do a DSA? (I would say yes)
	An easy fix that might go to woody:
	  debian/mysql-server.postinst:
	    if [ ! -e /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf ]; then
	      echo "# for security reasons" > /var/lib/mysql/my.cnf
	    fi

	This way, a faked config file cannot be generated by an attacker as
	mysql does not overwrite files with "SELECT .. INTO OUTFILE".
	Also backwards compatibility to admins who have a config there remains.

In contradiction to what was stated in another mail Debian's config file
permissions in /etc/mysql/ does not affect this exploit as
/var/lib/mysql was the problem.

> Carl Fink		carlf@dm.net
bye,

-christian- (debian maintainer of mysql)