Re: HELP, my Debian Server was hacked!

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 09:00:11PM +0200, Christian Könning wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I hope this is not of topic:
>
> My private server has been hacked:
> debian woody 2.4.18bf2.4 kernel, apache-ssl, samba, squid.

Ouch. Was it up-to-date to security patches?

> now my problem: the intruder used a rootkit, i think, cause he deleted
> /var/log, symlinked /root/.bash_history > /dev/null, etc.
> Is there any way to recover the evidences, e.g. the /var/log/ directory?
> (ext2)

Use e2undel (but you should mount read-only)

> and there three sh processes running as root? Ptrace exploit?
> how can i dump this processes to file, to keep this evidence?

Go to /proc/# (with # being the process number of these) you will find all
the information on running processes there (environment, commandline,
filedescriptor, the executable...)

You probably need a crash course on forensics in UNIX (me too :-), maybe
this helps:
http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich/talks/blackhat/blackhat/forensics.html
and http://www.dpo.uab.edu/~kalyan/incidentchecklist.html

Plenty of reading also at http://www.sans.org/rr/incident/, if you are
interested. But I believe you want to get over this as fast as possible,
consider using 'tct' (The Coroner Toolkit, packaged for Debian) .

Hope that helps

Javi