Disabling netstat

I'd like to disable netstat and similar programs for my shell
users. One of my users runs a MUCK (like a MUD) and would like to
protect the MUCK users' network locations from other shell users.

I'm running with a 2.4 kernel with /proc, and so netstat is an
unprivileged utility that merely grabs information out of /proc/net.

My thought was to chmod away /proc/net in a startup script,
unfortunately a chmod within /proc doesn't seem to take effect. I can
chmod the mount point (/proc), but if I do this, it also defeats
killall, ps, top and other essential tools for the users.

Is there a way to chmod away just parts of /proc?

Or is there a more conventional approach to disabling netstat and
related /proc info for unprivileged users?