Re: iptables rule to block when DNAT is used

Hanasaki JiJi <hanasaki@hanaden.com> writes:

> Firewall has rules to DNAT incoming traffic to a port on a DMZ box.
>
> how can an iptable rule be written to block some ip addresses before
> they get to the rules
> 	iptables -t mangle -A FORWARD
> 		AND
> 	iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING
> ???

The "DROP" target is valid in any chain.  Therefore,

        iptables -t mangle -I FORWARD -s badbox.evil -j DROP
        iptables -t nat -I PREROUTING -s badbox.evil -j DROP

should work.

Also note that the mangle PREROUTING chain is run on all incoming
packets before any other chain, so:

        iptables -t mangle -I PREROUTING -s badbox.evil -j DROP

should drop all packets from "badbox.evil" before any other rule is
checked.  Do some testing before taking my word on it, though.

--
Kevin <buhr@telus.net>