Re: ssh X forwarding problem

A few things to check for:

1. Is X forwarding allowed by the remote host?

2. Before you ssh out of localhost, is there a DISPLAY environment
variable set to a X session that you own?
(You need to tell ssh client on localhost where to forward X to after
all...)

Hope this helps.

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 at 04:50:39PM +0200, First Last wrote:

> I'm having a problem using X forwarding with ssh.
>
> I'm logged in on machine orion and I want to ssh to machine ursa,
> then
> use orion's X server from ursa.
>
> i.e.
> njdj@orion:~$ ssh -X ursa
> [ ursa asks for password, displays startup message]
> njdj@ursa: ~$ xterm &
> At this point, nothiing happens for minutes, then the
> following message appears:
>
> xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:10.0
>
> Have I installed the xbase-clients package with includes xauth?
> yes.
> (it's on both machines).
>
> Have I put X11Forwarding yes in ursa's /etc/ssh/sshd_config? yes.
>
> Have I put into orion's /etc/ssh/ssh_config the following:
> Host *
> ForwardX11 yes
>
> - yes.
>
> Is orion's X server listening to the socket? Yes,
> and in fact if I don't try to do X forwarding
> but instead set DISPLAY=orion:0.0 on ursa,
> everything works.
>
> Have I run ssh -vvv -X ursa? Yes, the output is voluminous, the
> last
> few lines before the login message are:
> debug3: tty_make_modes: 93 0
> debug2: x11_get_proto /usr/bin/X11/xauth list unix:10.0 2>/dev/null
> debug1: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
> debug1: channel request 0: x11-req
> debug1: channel request 0: shell
> debug1: fd 3 setting TCP_NODELAY
> debug2: callback done
> debug1: channel 0: open confirm rwindow 0 rmax 32768
> debug2: channel 0: rcvd adjust 131072
>
> I'm running woody, 3.0r0, on both machines.
>
> Everything works when I try it from orion to orion,
> i.e.
>
> njdj@orion:~$ ssh -X orion
> then after the login sequence, xterm & works and
> DISPLAY is localhost:11.0 so forwarding from orion to orion
> works. (I can't do the same test on ursa because ursa
> has no display and no X server.) This suggests to
> me that everything is correct on orion.
>
> Do I need to manually copy .Xauthority data between
> the two machines? I thought that was done
> automatically?
>
> Any constructive suggestions?

Phil

PGP/GPG Key:
http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/
wget -O - http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/key.txt | gpg --import
--
Excuse #111: Because of network lag due to too many people playing deathmatch