Re: [Fwd: Re: LWN: Ptrace vulnerability in 2.2 and 2.4 kernels]

On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 at 07:49:29PM +0200, David Barroso wrote:
> One reason is security:
> it's relatively easy for an intruder to install a kernel module based
> rootkit, and then hide her processes, files or connections.

Ahh, yea.....

Assuming an intruder made his way in with root privs couldn't he also
modify /dev/kmem or directly access the kernel memory by some other
means?  I beleive this topic has also been discussed in the past (dig
deep into the archives) and it was concluded that not allowing modules
to be loaded does not really protect you from your kernel being
modified at run-time.

--
Phil

PGP/GPG Key:
http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/
wget -O - http://www.zionlth.org/~plhofmei/key.txt | gpg --import
--
Excuse #35: Secretary plugged hairdryer into UPS