Re: iptables forwarding to inside firewall

On Sun, Mar 30, 2003 at 05:23:10PM -0500, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
>
> > Working on running a SMTP server inside the firewall that takes incoming
> > SMTP traffic from outside the firewall.  The below rules are not
> > working.  The firewall refuses connections.  Any input on what wrong?
>
> If a remote exploit is found in the MTA running on your internal host (as
> has just occured with sendmail again), an attacker may be able to launch a
> direct attack on this box.  Depending on your overall security structure
> they may then be able to attack any number of hosts behind your firewall.
>
> Some of the alteratives aren't much better.  Running an MTA on your
> firewall is just as bad as a remote exploit here may allow an attack
> access to the root on the firewall, allowing the firewall to be
> circumvented again.
>
> If you have more than 1 static address, an MTA running in a DMZ is
> definately better.  This way you could still have your internal MTA being
> port forwarded by restrict access through the firewall by source address,
> such that only your MTA in the DMZ can access the port redirect.  If you
> can restrict access by way of network interface on the firewall[1] then
> you're much much better off again as this protects against a spoof.

I don't quite follow this... Surely if one can break into the
port-forwarded MTA, one can break into DMZ's MTA, which would
then allow the attacker to access the port-forwarding anyway?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

use, duplication and distribution.