Re: speaking of squid ports...

noahm@debian.org said:
> Umm...  No.
>
> It's used for ICP, a protocol for intercommunication between squid
> caches.  For example, at my site we have two different caches.  One is
> basically transparent.  The other provides anonymizing services.  But,
> through ICP, both caches can make use of each other's cached objects.

no, Kevin's right. squid has its own built-in caching dns resolver, and
since it's a client it shows up on a different port every time. It seems
the only way to turn it off is to disable squid's internal resolver and
use an external one, but that's a whole new can of worms.

> Dunno how you turn it off, though.  Iptables?  <shrug>

As I said, icp can be turned off with "icp_port 0", as noted in the
squid.conf comments. It uses udp port 3130 by default.

Jason