Re: determining which patches to apply...

John Kuhn écrivait :
> The original poster indicated that they were running potato.  They should
> put the following line in /etc/apt/sources.list:
> deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security oldstable/updates main contrib non-free
> Note that security updates for potato are scheduled to end (June?).

If you don't want your server to be move as soon as the new Debian stable
gets out, you may prefer to use the nick name (potato) instead of the alias.
So you may want to use something like:
  deb http://security.debian.org/debian-security potato/updates main contrib
(I don't use non-free on my servers ;-))

> David Ramsden wrote:
> > What I do for all my machines is have a shell script, placed in
> > /etc/cron.daily that contains the following:
> > #!/bin/sh
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get --simulate --assume-yes upgrade
> > apt-get autoclean

You may prefer to use the "cron-apt" package (apt-get install cron-apt).
The beauty of this is that your upgrade script may also be upgraded!

Cheers, J.C.
--
Jean Christophe ANDRÉ <jean-christophe.andre@auf.org> http://www.vn.refer.org/
Coordonnateur technique régional / Associé technologie projet Reflets